ES-KAIELGU LODGE #311 HISTORY
Es-Kaielgu literally translated means “Spotted Horse.” It is derived from the Flathead Kalispel language and, though the language was never really written, a missionary recorded the word es-kaielgu in the late 1800’s.
Es-Kaielgu Lodge #311 was formed out of necessity due to the National OA Committee passing down guidelines that there could only be one Lodge for each Council. The Inland Empire Council, Idaho Panhandle Council and the Lewis Clark Council all merged together in 1992, and therefore a new lodge had to be created.
Es-Kaielgu came to be at the merger meeting at Camp Easton on April 16-18 1993, by the merging of Sel Koo Sho Lodge #311 and Lemolloillahee #415. (Merger Weekend Flyer) Es-Kaielgu Lodge received its first Charter from national in 1994. Wawookia Lodge #400 held out a little longer and joined Es-Kaielgu starting in 1995. Today, these old lodges are commemorated into the three camp areas that make up our lodge; Cowles Area, Easton Area, and Grizzly Area.
Sel Koo Sho
Sel Koo Sho Lodge #311 of the Idaho Panhandle Council #110 was first chartered in 1962 and named after the areas in North Idaho it served; the Selkirk, Kootenai County and Shoshone County. Its 48 year history was preceded by Koo Ben Sho Lodge. Its totem was originally Coeur d’ Alene Lake. This was briefly changed to the wolf for the 1965 NOAC, and afterwards was changed to the Ram, which remained until Sel Koo Sho’s ending in 1993.
Koo Ben Sho, was first chartered in 1942, also carried the names of its service areas; Kootenai County, Benewah County and Shoshone County. The totem was Coeur d’ Alene Lake, and was always displayed on its patches and banners with the north of the lake to the left.
Lemolloillahee (Lem*o*llo il*la*hee)
Lemolloillahee Lodge #415 of the Inland Empire Council #611 was first chartered in 1949. Its first Ordeal was held on May 13, 1949 with its first members being inducted by the ceremony team from the neighboring Koo Ben Sho Lodge. Its name comes from the “Chinook Jargon” which is a mixture of Chinook, French and English languages used during the fur trade era. Lemollo means “wild” or “untamed.” Illahee means “land” or “wilderness.” “Wild Wilderness” was chosen to represent the abundant forest area contained within the Cowles Scout Reservation.
The Lodge totem was the howling coyote; not a wolf, a coyote. The howling coyote was selected as a symbol of the wilderness area around Camp Cowles. The coyote is usually shown sitting inside of a diamond shape. The diamond, of course, is representative of Diamond Lake, the lake Camp Cowles sits on. The patch also features Mt. Spokane.
Wawookia #400 was member of two councils in its reign. It was first chartered as part of the Lewis-Clark Council #108 in 1948 as Quetzal Lodge #400 which carried no totem and created no patches. The name Quetzal is Spanish for Thunderbird. They changed the name to Wawookia in 1954. The name Wawookia means Elk in the Nez Perce language. The Elk was chosen as the totem of Wawookia and is front and center on all of their patches. In 1992 the Lewis Clark Council merged with the Inland Northwest Council. The members of Wawookia held out to the forced mergers from National as long as they could until joining Es-Kaielgu at the beginning of 1995.